Facebook Twitter Instagram
    Medford Report Medford Report
    • Local News
    • Oregon
    • Community
    • COVID-19
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Trending
    • About us
    Subscribe
    Medford Report Medford Report
    Home»Local News»Grants Pass City Council Shifts Focus, Suspends Caveman Pool Renovation Project
    Local News

    Grants Pass City Council Shifts Focus, Suspends Caveman Pool Renovation Project

    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Grants Pass, OR – The Grants Pass City Council voted Tuesday evening to indefinitely suspend the renovation of the Caveman Pool, a move that reallocated over $1 million in American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds originally designated for the pool to public safety initiatives. The 50-year-old pool is currently the only public swimming facility in the city.

    Councilor Dwayne Yunker, one of the proponents of suspending the renovation, expressed concerns about the previous council’s decision to move forward with the multi-million dollar project. He described the decision as “hasty” and argued that alternative ideas and viewpoints had been overlooked during discussions. “There were other ideas, and there were people on the council that were being ignored because certain people wanted the pool for them,” Yunker said. “We’re asking to suspend it, since there is such a new council and for them to re-look at this and say, ‘Is $6.5 million worth spending today?’”

    Despite the council’s decision to halt the renovation, Yunker clarified that this does not mean the pool will be closed or permanently removed from consideration. Rather, the council is choosing to reevaluate its priorities in light of current needs and available resources.

    Councilor Rob Pell, the only council member who voted against suspending the project, defended the original plan and countered Yunker’s criticism. Pell emphasized that no one on the previous council had been ignored, but simply outvoted. “The support for the community pool is huge,” Pell said. “It would probably be used more if the old facility had more amenities.”

    Pell argued that the pool project should not be abandoned but rather enhanced with additional amenities that would serve the community better in the long run. His comments reflect a divide within the council about how best to balance the needs for public recreation and public safety in the city’s budget.

    The decision to reallocate the ARPA funds to public safety highlights the council’s current focus on addressing what they see as more urgent community needs. With public safety taking precedence, the future of the Caveman Pool project remains uncertain, as the council has only suspended the renovation and not fully canceled it.

    The city’s residents, who have expressed strong support for the pool, will likely be watching closely to see whether the council revisits the project in the coming months. For now, the fate of Grants Pass’s beloved pool hangs in the balance as the city navigates its priorities for both public recreation and safety.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Related Posts

    Medford celebrates opening of Hope Lofts to expand housing for people experiencing homelessness

    July 28, 2026

    Medford Police kick off 2026 Rogue Valley Girls Police Camp with team-building, self-defense and hands-on training

    July 28, 2026

    Free wood debris chipper days announced in Medford to help residents reduce fire hazards

    April 21, 2026

    April 21, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Popular

    Oregon State Police joins Portland-area traffic safety operation targeting impaired and reckless drivers

    July 28, 2026

    Medford celebrates opening of Hope Lofts to expand housing for people experiencing homelessness

    July 28, 2026

    Medford Police kick off 2026 Rogue Valley Girls Police Camp with team-building, self-defense and hands-on training

    July 28, 2026

    Medford Fire Department gives summer campers hands-on look at fire safety

    July 28, 2026

    Free wood debris chipper days announced in Medford to help residents reduce fire hazards

    April 21, 2026

    City Council town halls scheduled in Medford to address parks, streets, and public safety issues

    April 21, 2026
    Latest news
    • Salvation Army hosts annual Thanksgiving turkey giveaway
    • Oregon Health Authority Issues Preemptive Recreational Use Advisory for Emigrant Lake Due to Harmful Algae Bloom
    • City officials concluded its first series of town hall meetings to talk about the organization’s efforts to address homelessness and otjer challenges
    • Gov. Tina Kotek and First Lady Aimee Kotek Wilson visited communities in Union and Wallowa counties as part of the One Oregon Listening Tour
    • Josephine County Fire Departments Kick Off Crucial Training Simulating Shelter Fire Scenarios

    Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest
    • Local News
    • Oregon
    • Community
    • COVID-19
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Trending
    • About us
    © 2026 Medford Report. Designed by Tony Cooper.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.